Shaum Electric Company Inc. was founded June 1, 1945 by Lowell and Lucille Shaum. By 1946 the business moved from their basement to 115 State Street in Elkhart. A short time later they moved to larger headquarters at 1047 S. Main Street.
Shaum Electric Company was incorporated in 1949.
As an electrical contractor, the business began to grow, performing residential and commercial service to Elkhart and the surrounding area. In the early 1950's an electrical supply company was also started known as Elkhart Supply Company. "ESCO" is located today on Kent Street.
Still in need of more space for the motor repair department and later the electrical panel department, by 1964 Shaum moved to the empty Riblets Mfg. building at its present location, 1125 N. Nappanee Street. In 1980 Shaum Mfg., Inc., with the panel department as a base was started.
May 1, 1982, then chairman of the board, Lowell Shaum died of an extended illness. It was a great loss to the company, but those that worked under Lowell learned well. Many of his ideas, business philosophy and management policies have proved strong and are carried on by his sons: Gary Shaum, President of Shaum Electric Co., Inc., and Lewis Shaum, President of Elkhart Supply Company. Lucille Shaum retired December 31, 1985.
The motor department is continually updating equipment, and developing modern day test and service techniques. The service and construction departments have also been updated and computerized to meet the demands of an expanding field.
With the hard work of the founders and the continuing dedication from employees, Shaum Electric will continue to prosper and develop.